Website Accessibility Statement for Lymm Parish Council Website
This accessibility statement applies to the present website of Lymm Parish Council at https://www.lymmparishcouncil.gov.uk/, including all pages of the website.
This website is run by Lymm Parish Council. Should some aspects not be accessible to you refer to the contact details below and we will do our best to share the information you require.
Lymm Parish Council will have a new website in use in September or October 2020 with a view to make it as accessible as possible and we want as many people as possible to be able to use
our new website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We have also made the new website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible is this present website?
We know some parts of the present website are not fully accessible:
- you cannot modify the line height or spacing of text
- most older PDF documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software
- some of our online forms are difficult to navigate using just a keyboard
- you cannot skip to the main content when using a screen reader
- there is a limit to how far you can magnify the map on our “Contact” page
- “read more” links rely on a user’s ability to see the page and may not show when selected by a keyboard
- “alternative text” is not added to all images
- Some pages need improved hyperlinking
- Some content may be difficult to navigate using a screen reader.
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this present website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille please contact:
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone – 07741 877870
We will consider your request and reply to you as soon as possible, which is likely to be within 15 working days.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We are always looking to improve the accessibility of Lymm Parish Council’s website which will be achieved with the new website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we are not meeting accessibility requirements, please contact the Parish Clerk as above.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you are not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Services (EASS) at www.equalityadvisoryservice.com.
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
The Parish Council can contacted via:
- Email – email@example.com
- Telephone – 07741 877870
- View our contact page for more contact information: https://www.lymmparishcouncil.gov.uk/contact-us/
Technical Information about this website’s accessibility
Lymm Parish Council is committed to making its website accessible in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Website and Mobile Applications) (No.2) Accessibility Regulations 2018
This present website is not compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
- Some images do not have a text alternative, so people using a screen reader cannot access the information. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.1.1 (non-text content).
- Older PDFs and other documents do not meet accessibility standards as they may not be marked up, so they are accessible to a screen reader.
- Some pdf documents are scanned images, such as the AGAR, which must comply with other legal requirements and cannot be read by any screen reader. Please contact the Parish Clerk as above for help and advice.
- Some content does not have enough contrast, so people with moderate visual impairments may struggle to read it.
- We plan to add text alternatives for all images by December 2020. When we publish new content, we will make sure our use of images meets accessibility standards
We have sampled some of the content of the documents that may be needed for Active Administrative Purposes prior to 23rd September 2018. These took some time to remediate and would use many of the hours of a part-time clerk to remediate them all. There would be no added value both in the future and the past in relation to the small number of viewers. It would not be
reasonable to make these documents accessible as the benefits of doing so would not justify the cost because it is a disproportionate burden.
This will be reviewed in the future as Lymm Parish Council is committed to accessibility.
Navigation and accessing information
There is no way to skip the repeated content in the page header (for example, a ‘skip to main content’ option).
It is not always possible to change the device orientation from horizontal to vertical without making it more difficult to view the content.
It is not possible for users to change text size without some of the content overlapping Interactive tools and transactions
Some of our interactive forms are difficult to navigate using a keyboard. For example, because some form controls are missing a ‘label’ tag.
Our forms are built and hosted through third party software and ‘skinned’ to look like our website.
We have assessed the cost of fixing the issues with navigation and accessing information, and with interactive tools and transactions. We believe that doing so now would be a disproportionate
burden within the meaning of the accessibility regulations. A further assessment will not be made for the present website and an assessment will be made for the new website when the supplier has provided the new website.
Content that is not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
PDFs and other documents
Some of our PDFs and Word documents are essential to providing our services. For example, we have PDFs with information on how users can access our services, and forms published as Word
documents. By October 2020, we plan to either fix these or replace them with accessible HTML pages when the new website is available.
The accessibility regulations do not require us to fix PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they’re not essential to providing our services. For example, we do not plan to
fix any documents relating to financial information for the years before this date. Any new PDFs or Word documents we publish will meet accessibility standards.
We do not plan to add captions to live video streams because live video is exempt from meeting the accessibility regulations.
This website may link to third-party, external websites or services that are not fully accessible.
What we are doing to improve accessibility
Existing documents are in the process of being reviewed to make them accessible wherever possible to comply with the accessibility regulations. This may take some time.
Lymm Parish Council hopes to have a new and fully accessible website by September or October 2020. When in use it will be tested for its accessibility to make sure it meets the Accessibility Regulations 2018.
It may be that only some sections of the new website when first launched are accessible or that they are all accessible, however the assessment on this may take a bit longer. Our aim is that the website will be fully reviewed for accessibility by December 2020.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 19 September 2020. The new website will be tested when in use by the end of October 2020. The test will be a self evaluation by Lymm Parish Council. Should a full accessibility test report be provided by the external organisation, this will be made available on the website.